Thursday, October 19, 2017

legacy

Somehow the bigs and I started talking the other night about what the word legacy means.  W immediately jumps in with “It’s what our ancestors leave us when they die. Like Crown Jewels and stuff.”  We talk about that for awhile and then I ask them if they can think of any other things we could leave behind. Silence. I ask them the question in a different way “What would you like to be known for?” They had the typical kid answers: my awesome singing, my cool hair, my trampoline tricks. It was a fun conversation full of blurting out and laughter. 


In this time of social media, selfies, and filters it is really easy to get preoccupied with how people perceive you. It's so easy to compare and find yourself lacking, yet we often forget that it's almost effortless to create any persona you want. From posting only the positive or just the good angle to outright dishonesty and exaggeration anyone can be anyone.  But get deeper than that, go offline if you will.  Make a list of traits you'd like to pass on to your children -things you won't necessarily find in an Instagram picture. If your tribe was describing you what would you want them to say? Not just the average acquaintance, but your core group of support.  The people that help make up your moral compass.  What would you secretly hope they'd whisper about you when you weren't around? It's not easy is it? After a lot of thought I came up with my list:

I take pride in my job.  I love being a mom and truly feel it's my calling. I can't describe the rush of peace I felt when each new life was placed in my arms. Each stage has been my favorite (okay, not three year old twins) and every day brings new things to laugh about.  I am so thankful I was chosen for these specific five. I hope that they know how much joy they bring me.

I leave things better than I found them. I have a huge issue when people say "Well, that's what they get paid for!". Whether it's throwing my trash away at the movies, or straightening the display when I grab a magazine I try to make someone else's day easier.  This concept also holds true to people.  I have no desire to tear people down.  I have never understood why pointing out a person's shortcomings makes for a better self image for someone else.  This world is hard.  Doesn't it make more sense to support one another and offer a hand? As my sweet friend, Sabrina, says "It doesn't cost anything to be kind".

I make things more fun.  My friend, Tana, has the best laugh of anyone I know.  It's absolutely contagious! My face actually aches after spending time with her because I smile the entire time. Teaching with her was a joy. We worked hard, but it never felt like it because she was so much fun to be around. We still talk most days as she calls me on her way home from school.  My kids have often commented that I'm always happier when we hang up.  She is truly one of my biggest blessings and I hope that I can have the same light bringing affect on people.  

God's Love Shines Through Me When the twins were in the NICU one of  Laurel's primary nurses was Brooke.  We bonded immediately and became fast friends.  She'd pull up a rocking chair and we'd spend the quiet days whispering about our families, our dreams, and our faith. When she talks about how Jesus has changed her life her face lights up. She gets this incredible smile and her cheeks flush a beautiful pink. She knows God.  Brooke loves big as a result of this.  She has a confidence in her friendships and she isn't afraid to fight for them.  She is a fierce prayer warrior and when she speaks I listen hard for there are times I know it is God speaking through her. I love her dearly.  My wish is for my people to describe my fierce love for my family and friends in this way.

It's interesting how peaceful I feel after making this list.  I feel like this list could easily become a focus or centering for my life.  If I have another week like last week where I feel out of sorts I plan to revisit this and see if one area is out of balance: Am I not spending enough time in God's word? Am I not laughing enough? Have I been around a lot of negative people? Have I forgotten how I felt when I first saw my babies?  I'm curious to see if it helps. 

On another note, thank you so much for the amazing comments you all have been leaving on my posts.  I cannot tell you how much they have encouraged me.  I am deeply touched by how many of you reached out and I will not forget your kindness.  






No comments:

Post a Comment