Monday, October 2, 2017

Finding My Way

I learned of the devastation in Las Vegas this morning right after I turned off my alarm.  I read all the news alerts on my phone and then hid under the covers telling myself  "I can't do this".  As I lay there in tears I wondered what exactly I couldn't do... Get up? Get dressed? Life?  I had to talk myself into waking my children and starting the day.  I wanted nothing more than to keep them home, throw all "smart devices" in the trash, and plan our new compound life.  My heart hurt and I needed my babies near me. 

When my anxiety overwhelms me I can always count on routine.  Predictability soothes me. I lose myself in some mundane task (like folding laundry) and eventually I can feel my heart rate slow and my racing thoughts begin to organize.  Today the familiar drive to our preschool across town was the perfect distraction.  I realized that what I am feeling is fear.  I am afraid that tragedies are going to continue.  I am afraid that the divisive tone of our country is only going to get worse.   I am afraid for my children to be out of my sight.  I am afraid that something "big" will happen when my husband is working out of town and we will be separated.  With every speech, news show, article, and conversation I feel my hope fade and my fear grow. I know I have to find my balance.  To feel fearful and anxious so often just isn't healthy.  Life is hard.  The time we live in is particularly hard. But it can't be ALL bad.

I recently stumbled on this quote by Erline Patrick:

"Life lived and seen through a lens of JOY brings Hope, Strength, Courage, Faith, and Love."  

A lens of joy sounds beautiful doesn't it? After some thinking today I had the idea to use the quote as a sort of recipe.  I want to grow my Hope and Faith especially, but if Strength, Courage, and Love are byproducts too then even better. Other than using Write31 to document this journey I have no idea what this will look like.  My guess is that it will change often.  I'm going to try my best to just go with what each day brings and to make sure I'm looking through a lens of Joy.   



No comments:

Post a Comment